Reflexology, rain-dancing & Infertility
by Heidi Drieschner
With statistics flying around that 1 in 6 Australian couples struggle with infertility, many are turning to complementary therapies such as Reflexology to help them turn their dreams of having a family into a reality.
Short of doing a conception "rain dance" to whatever fertility goddess you can grab hold of, you may ask if there's something else you can do to assist you on your journey? The answer is YES, and the best part is that no sacrifices are needed!
Sometimes I feel like yelling from rooftops, "REFLEXOLOGY CAN HELP WITH INFERTILITY!" however at the extent of looking like a crazy lady and being arrested, I thought I'd write a blog about it instead.
How can a Reflexologist help with Infertility you may ask?
Well there are many reasons why Fertility Reflexology might be a great choice for you when you are trying to have the baby of your dreams. It can help you to de-stress about infertility, switch off your thoughts about getting pregnant, open yourself up to deep relaxation, and walk out the door feeling much lighter than when you walked in.
Fertility reflexology can assist with boosting your fertility and other reproductive health conditions. As part of your treatment, after discussing your health concerns with you, I will target specific points on your feet & sometimes hands (called reflex areas) corresponding with various organs, glands, and parts of your body involved with reproduction and conception. Reflexology stimulates the body's natural healing processes and can help bring you back into balance.
In pre-Conception, Fertility Reflexology helps to;
* regulate your menstrual cycle (particularly important when you are trying to conceive if you
have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) or Endometriosis
* work your endocrine system (balancing hormones)
* stimulate ovulation (by working reflexes associated with the ovaries and fallopian tubes)
* remove toxins (by targeting reflexes of the liver and large intestine)
* support healthy mucous membranes (through lymphatic system stimulation)
* assist with painful periods (by targeting the spine and lower back reflexes)
* provide emotional support & well-being
* give you a well-deserved break from the worry and stress of infertility (providing an ideal environment for conception)
* holistically support women undergoing IVF
How many Fertility Reflexology sessions should I have?
Regular treatments over 3 cycles (roughly 3 months) are recommended to get your body into its best possible state for conception to occur. For the first four weeks, two sessions a week are recommended (or weekly) followed by weekly sessions ideally just before ovulation or before egg transfer for assisted reproduction such as IVF.
Can Reflexology assist with IVF or Assisted Reproductive Techniques?
Working alongside your medical program, Reflexology works well alongside your treatments when undertaken at the appropriate times. For instance, Reflexology is not undertaken after eggs are transferred to the uterus for IVF, and treatments are recommended as below:
* Two treatments in between menstruation and ovulation (prior to ovulation)
* During artificial hormone stimulation, no treatments
* In the week leading up to egg retrieval
* After egg retrieval (while egg is being fertilised) and prior to insemination
I practice from Awareness Institute in Crows Nest on Mondays-Thursdays.
Contact me on 0410 552 588 if you would like to find out more or if you would like to book into your fertility reflexology sessions. I look forward to working with you to maximise your chances of conceiving sooner rather than later!
In kindness and optimal fertility
* Motha, Dr Gowri, McGrath, Dr Jane. 1989. London. “The Effects of Reflexology on Labour Outcome”.
Postcards from Heidi...
Sharing info on holistic fertility health, tips for you to use at home, and inspiring articles sourced from near and far... enjoy!